I'm an aspiring full-stack developer (with a light front-ended tilt). I'm interested in all kinds of visual communication, but my major focus is on designing web applications & interfaces. I love (and preach) all things Node.js, semantic HTML, the power of CSS & progressive enhancement.
Lately I've really enjoyed tinkering with:
- Vue.js ♥
- PWAs and service-workers
Webpackvarious bundlers and bundling optimisations Metalsmith
- Anything ES6+
I work great with designers (challenging the flow and their thought process), other devs 🤓 or less-techy folk (pretty sure that's the technical term for it).
I've also dabbled in other fields (and hope to perfect them in the future), like:
- automation & shell scripting
- web performance
- CD & CI
- agile thinking
- UNIX-based systems
- dockerisation, Kubernetes
- UX & user flow
- interaction design
- Googling for solutions (near master level 💯)
Being a self-claimed autodidact, I consider myself a proud drop out. Instead of going the standard university route (BSc, MSc, internships, etc.), I pivoted and spent my time tinkering on small private projects, reading books & articles and listening to podcasts.
My biggest educational growth though were the first few months at my first job and I believe my hunger for knowledge has sky-rocketed ever since. I also love meetups and conferences (...it's the free swag).
Since some do care about the official part of this, here's a rundown:
- CS at Tallinn University of Technology
- quit June 2015
- I in no way mean to bad-mouth, but the (at the time) outdated curriculum and narrow-minded teachers left me wanting more. I've listed the relevant completed courses under my LinkedIn profile.
- Hardcore developer training at PluralSight
- attended May 2015
- A thorough overview of a web developer's stack before PluralSight expanded their training courses.
- Certificate in Full Stack Development at Free Code Camp
- Spring 2015
- Exact Science Field at Old Town Educational College (Secondary education)
- Graduated June 2012
Favourite learning resources:
- News/article feeds
* Unfortunately, I can't show most of my recent work on here for legal reasons. It's good stuff though.
I started out creating websites for neighbours and small companies, which really sparked a passion. Here's what I've been up to since:
- Full-stack developer @ Qualitista
- July 2018
- FE -> Full-stack developer @ Bigbank
- July 2015 – July 2018
- I started out supporting an in-house Wordpress theme, helping marketers create pages
with a page builder. Worked with the design team to unify the corporate visuals
across multiple countries and platforms (also implemented a pattern library).
I then shifted bit more towards Node's full-stack world and worked with microservices
and the Wordpress REST API to render its contents as a separate Vue application.
I've learned heaps about virtualisation, dockerisation, CI & CD, security,
authentication, and too much about front-end itself to even list.
My last product in the company was a Vue-based component library, coupled with an in-house Express middleware and some internal
vue-cli@3plugins to help developers quickly spin up new applications & product instances.
- Programming teacher @ Saue High school
- Autumn 2015 – Spring 2016
- My job was to give my students a basic understanding of the principles of programming, whilst keeping it a fun learning experience. I teach Python mostly through games and active user input, so their first experience with programming wouldn't be stale.
- Freelancing @ interwebs
- Started 2014
- Programming has long been an interest of mine. Having also a soft spot for the artsy side in me—front-end development seemed like an excellent field to start gaining some experience.
In my free time I enjoy working on my motorcycle, disc golfing, practising muay thai & BJJ... and starring GitHub repos ⭐.